What's a pronoun?

Related articles on Grammar

What are compound nouns, common nouns and proper nouns?

What are linking verbs, phrasal verbs and helping verbs?

What's a subject and an infinitive within a sentence?

What's a subject- verb agreement?

If you're unsure of what a noun is you can brush up on one of the previous posts above.
 

What's a pronoun?

 
A pronoun is simply a word used instead of a noun. Here are some examples of pronouns ; I, me, you, he, she, it, that, they, each, who, somebody.
 
There are three types of pronouns. These are subject pronouns, object pronouns and possessive pronouns.
 
A subject pronoun is used when a pronoun is the subject of the sentence.
 
I know my name.
 
In this sentence I is the pronoun.
 
Examples of subject pronouns include; he, she, you, they.
 
Examples of object pronouns include; him, her, me, them, us.
 
Examples of possessive pronouns include; his, hers, theirs.
 

How to use pronouns correctly

Pronouns can be singular or plural depending on the subject within the sentence.
 
Singular pronouns such as; I, he, she, everyone, anyone nobody require a singular verb such as is.
 

Pronouns and apostrophes

 
Possessive pronouns such as yours, his, hers, its, ours and theirs, do not need apostrophes. This is a very common mistake in writing.
 
Apostrophes need only be used when there is a contraction such as;
 
it is, it's
 
there is, there's
 
who is, who has, who's

 
 

How to correctly use a reflexive pronoun

A reflexive pronoun is a pronoun that ends in -selves, or -self
 
Myself, yourself, himself, herself
 
Or
 
Ourselves, themselves, themselves
 
Reflexive pronouns are used when the subject and the object of the verb in a sentence refer to the same person.
 
I hurt myself.
 
In this sentence the reflexive pronoun is myself, the object of the verb is hurt.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Stone Road by G.R.Matthews

Reluctant Immortals by Gwendolyn Kiste

The Last Kingdom by Bernard Cornwell