What are linking verbs, phrasal verbs and helping verbs?


I always thought I had a fairly good grasp of grammar and punctuation. I have a degree and write constantly, but it was only when I thought it would be a good idea to give myself a refresher's course on the subject, that I realised there was a lot of work to do!

I thought verbs were really simple. I mean, they're basically ,"doing words," Right? 

They're are many types of verbs.......





A verb is defined as a word, or a set of words that shows actions, feelings or a state of being.

I am busy. I am happy. I am

The use of verbs can get complicated as they can consist of more than one word, and this is where phrasal verbs and helping verbs come into play.

A phrasal verb is simply a verb that contains more than one word.

I have been busy improving my grammar and punctuation.

In this sentence, the phrasal verb is ,"busy improving"  It is the action within the sentence. 

A helping verb is used to explain the phrasal verb, in this sentence the helping verb is ,"have been"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Stone Road by G.R.Matthews

Reluctant Immortals by Gwendolyn Kiste

The Last Kingdom by Bernard Cornwell